Junior software engineer (old)
Milan (Italy) or fully remote
Permanent or fixed-term
Questions about our recruiting process?
We’re no longer accepting applications for this job, but you’re welcome to apply for a different one.
With 90 million active users and half a billion total downloads, Bending Spoons is one of Europe’s leading app developers. But we won’t rest on our laurels: Our sights are set on becoming the world’s best. That’s where you come in. Our bright, innovative, and collaborative software engineers are at the core of our ambitious mission—and we’re always seeking to add exceptional junior engineers to our team. We’re searching for stand-out candidates who want to work in—and learn tons about—one of the following fields: - Mobile development (Android, iOS) - Backend development - Cybersecurity and infrastructure engineering - Web development Don’t worry if you’re not sure what area you’d like to work in just yet: We can take the time to chat about your interests and work out what’s likely to be the best fit for you. And when you apply for a job at Bending Spoons, we consider you for every suitable open position.
A few examples of your responsibilities
- Contribute to product development and product roadmap planning. Take a proactive role and ownership of the products you work on.
- Learn about the latest and greatest technologies, testing the promising ones to make sure we don’t miss out on game-changing opportunities to boost our productivity and the enjoyment of our work.
- Work closely with our software engineers to expand our set of libraries and make our processes ever-more efficient.
- Constantly improve the quality of our products, tools, or infrastructures by fixing bugs and refactoring the code base where necessary.
What we look for
- Logical-analytical abilities. You’re a quick learner who’s able to investigate and effectively pick up new concepts on your own. You can solve unforeseen challenges with creativity and structure, and can do so independently.
- Drive. You’re energetic and hard-working, and you persevere through adversity until the job is done—and done impeccably. You’re massively into getting results, and always aim for excellence in what you do.
- Passion. You love what you do, and your enthusiasm never wavers with the specifics of a given task or team. Whether you’re on a plane, train, or sofa, odds are that you’ll be found with your nose in a book or article on the subject.
- Humility. You’re down to earth, eager to listen to feedback and constructive criticism, and ready to support your team with whatever it needs to succeed.
- Attention to detail. You take all the care in the world to develop quality user experiences for your colleagues, go the extra mile to learn what they need, and pore over the details that make the difference.
- Curiosity and initiative. You love exploring, and are forever hunting down new opportunities and testing fresh ideas. Rather than waiting to be told what to do, you go seek.
- Pragmatism. Far from being too academic or obsessive in your perfectionism, you understand that speed is often as important as quality when getting things done in a competitive world.
- Proficiency in English. You read, write, and speak proficiently in English.
What we offer
- Make a difference. Be the owner of your effort—from day one, you’re one of the team and fully trusted to take responsibility for your tasks. You’ll have every incentive to make a major impact.
- International reach. We’re a global company, and your work will have worldwide exposure.
- Talented, knowledgeable colleagues. Learn from (and teach) some of the brightest and most skilled people you’ll ever meet. Your talent is going to blossom here.
- Real impact. We automate most menial tasks, freeing you up to focus your expertise where it can make the biggest impact.
- Flexibility and trust. From day one, you’ll be one of the team and fully trusted. No micromanagement or clipping your wings—just the freedom and responsibility to do great work.
- Continuous education. Spooners get unlimited backing for learning investments, including Italian or English lessons and things like courses, conferences, and books. There’s no permission or approval process—you’re fully trusted to use the company’s resources efficiently.
- Unique career opportunity. By joining a fast-growing company on a mission to become one of the world's greatest, it’s an unparalleled opportunity to turbocharge your learning and career prospects.
- Relocation package. If you need to relocate for the position, we typically cover reasonable transportation and moving expenses, provide up to three months of temporary accommodation, and help you and your close family members with visa support if necessary.
- Remote working. Spend as much or as little time in our Milan office as you choose. Many Spooners like to change up their environment and get out of the city whenever the mood strikes. You’ve always got the freedom to decide where today’s office is.
- Flexible schedule. Our regular hours are 9-6 GMT+1, but this isn’t a “clock in, clock out” company. You’re fully trusted to create the right conditions for your own personal peak productivity. We only ask that you’re available to your teammates a good chunk of the day (six hours or so). That’s why it’s generally best to be based somewhere with a similar time zone—between GMT-2 and GMT+3.
The selection process
If you successfully pass through our screening process, we’ll invite you to take on a few tests that assess how you approach and solve unfamiliar problems. If you’re successful there, we’ll invite you to take part in some interviews. We welcome applications in English and Italian. Bending Spoons is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We consider for employment all applicants and we provide reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities, which can be requested at email@example.com. Studies suggest that women tend not to apply for a job if their CV isn’t a perfect fit. Here, we look for talent and potential—not just experience and expertise. So if you like the role and think you could be awesome at it, go ahead and apply.
Junior software engineer (old)Apply