With tens of millions of active users and hundreds of thousands of daily downloads, we’re one of Europe’s leading app developers. We’re looking for a talented, experienced, and passionate native Android developer eager to help us make the best apps on the Play Store and contribute to improving our technology stack.
A few examples of your responsibilities
- Write quality code that’s testable and maintainable. You understand the benefits of code that’s clean and idiomatic.
- Follow best practices in terms of coding style, Git usage, commit messages, pull requests, and team conventions.
- Perform code reviews and play an active part in tech discussions.
- Work on apps, libraries, or tooling, depending on your skills and preferences.
- Make proposals to improve our tech stack, libraries, and tooling.
- Contribute to the product development of the apps you’ll work on. We’re all about taking a proactive role and ownership of your work.
- Help define the software architecture of entire apps or new features—and then develop them. The work spans a broad range, from engineering and coding features to polishing world-class user interfaces.
- Constantly improve the quality of our products by fixing bugs and refactoring the code base where necessary, as well as adding that wow factor to put smiles on our users’ faces.
- Stay up-to-speed with new technologies (particularly on Android), and test the promising ones to make sure we don’t miss out on game-changing opportunities.
What we look for
- Passion. You love what you do, and your enthusiasm never wavers with the specifics of a given task or team. Whether you’re on a plane, train, or sofa, odds are that you’ll be found with your nose in a book or article on the subject.
- Reasoning and depth of learning. You’re structured and creative enough to solve most challenging problems independently, given the necessary knowledge. You learn new concepts and skills rapidly, and love to nerd out and go in-depth.
- Accuracy and precision. Your attention to detail is spot-on, and you’re painstakingly accurate.
- Logical-analytical abilities. You’re a quick learner who’s able to investigate and effectively pick up new concepts on your own. You can solve unforeseen challenges with creativity and structure, and can do so independently.
- Drive. You’re energetic and hard-working, and you persevere through adversity until the job is done—and done impeccably. You’re massively into getting results, and always aim for excellence in what you do.
- Curiosity and initiative. You love exploring, and are forever hunting down new opportunities and testing fresh ideas. Rather than waiting to be told what to do, you go seek.
- Humility. You’re down to earth, eager to listen to feedback and constructive criticism, and ready to support your team with whatever it needs to succeed.
- Proficiency in English. You read, write, and speak proficiently in English.
What we offer
- Make a difference. Be the owner of your effort—from day one, you’re one of the team and fully trusted to take responsibility for your tasks. You’ll have every incentive to make a major impact.
- International reach. We’re a global company, and your work will have worldwide exposure.
- The finest tools. You get the best hardware on the market and all the software you could need. We can't wait to introduce you to our high-tech approach and our cutting-edge workflows.
- Talented, knowledgeable colleagues. Learn from (and teach) some of the brightest and most skilled people you’ll ever meet. Your talent is going to blossom here.
- Design for people, not clients. Here, there aren’t any clients doing backseat driving—we cater solely to our customers and users. That means you're free to unleash your creativity on the people whose opinions matter most: the product-loving public.
- Continuous education. Spooners get unlimited backing for learning investments, including Italian or English lessons and things like courses, conferences, and books. There’s no permission or approval process—you’re fully trusted to use the company’s resources efficiently.
- Wonderful HQ. Natural light, silent rooms, state-of-the-art hardware, fun-filled common spaces... the list never ends! You’ll certainly be in the right environment to do your best work. And, when it’s time to switch off, you can do that in style and comfort.
- Remote working. Spend as much or as little time in our Milan office as you choose. Many Spooners like to change up their environment and get out of the city whenever the mood strikes. You’ve always got the freedom to decide where today’s office is.
- Flexible schedule. Our regular hours are 9-6 GMT+1, but this isn’t a “clock in, clock out” company. You’re fully trusted to create the right conditions for your own personal peak productivity. We only ask that you’re available to your teammates a good chunk of the day (six hours or so). That’s why it’s generally best to be based somewhere with a similar time zone—between GMT-2 and GMT+3.
- Competitive salary and stock options. Our compensation package is highly competitive, and can grow rapidly and include stock options, depending on your performance and seniority.
The selection process
If you successfully pass through our screening process, we’ll invite you to take on a few tests that assess how you approach and solve unfamiliar problems. These tests don’t require any prior knowledge, and they should take a few hours to complete. If you’re successful there, we’ll invite you to take part in some interviews—normally two or three —to get to know each other and figure out if it’s a good fit for both parties. To limit human bias, all of our hiring decisions are made by a hiring committee rather than any individual. Spooners come from all over the world and English is our working language. We welcome applications in English or Italian—whichever suits you best! All interviews and assessments take place in English and are held online. Bending Spoons is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We consider for employment all applicants, regardless of their race, religion, color, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, family status, political affiliation, disability, and any other legally protected characteristic. We’re committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance or accommodations, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.